Deadline: October 31, 2011
• Only South African citizens and permanent residents may use this form.
• International/Refugee students must complete Form 10c (available from the Postgraduate Funding Office).
• Students who will register for part-time study, the 4th year of a Bachelors degree, PGCE, LLB or Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas are ineligible to apply for awards linked to this application form and are referred to the Student Financial Aid Office.
• UCT has limited funding for both local and international postgraduate students.
• UCT does not guarantee that any applicant will receive funding. We do not undertake to provide full-cost funding for postgraduate students. Students should apply/request funding/financial support from as many outside sources as possible. Full information and details of available bursaries, scholarships and fellowship programmes are available in the University’s Booklet No. 14 – Financial Assistance for Postgraduate Study and Postdoctoral Research. This Booklet is reproduced on the University’s website and can be found on the following URL:http://www.uct.ac.za/usr/pgfo/booklet/pgfo_2011.pdf
• If you will be employed full-time you are not eligible for funding support.
Most of the categories of award described in the above-mentioned Booklet have their own criteria and Application Forms. The Booklet will indicate which application form is required. These forms can be sourced from the Postgraduate Funding Office or on-line from the following URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/funding/postgraduate/applications/
Applications have to be submitted – along with all required supporting documentation – to the Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office, the University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7701 by no later than 31 October 2011.
• Students who register for part-time study, a second Honours, Masters or Doctoral degree, or for Diplomas, Certificates, the PGCE and LLB are NOT eligible to apply for or to hold these awards.
• If you intend to register for an Honours degree in 2012, and you are not a student at the University of Cape Town, you are required to submit certified academic transcripts showing final undergraduate results by no later than 12 December 2011. Applications that are without transcripts after that date will be disqualified.
• Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
• The awards available via this application form are restricted to South African citizens and permanent residents only. Non-South Africans are INELIGIBLE for awards linked to this Application Form and must contact the Postgraduate Funding Office for details on application procedures and time-lines for International and Refugee Students Scholarships.
• Funding will only be available to successful applicants for the following tenures:
* Honours – ONE YEAR – i.e. for the FIRST year of Honours only
* Masters – TWO YEARS – i.e. for the FIRST TWO YEARS of Masters study only
* Doctoral – THREE YEARS. i.e. for the FIRST THREE YEARS of Doctoral study only.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Please note that if you are eligible for an NRF or MRC award, you MUST apply to the NRF or MRC for a bursary. The University may not consider you for a
UCT Merit-award unless you apply to the NRF/MRC. For details on applications to the NRF/MRC, please refer to Section 1 of Booklet No. 14.