Deadline: September 1, 2012
(1) A number of Australian and overseas postgraduate scholarships are awarded annually by the Trustees of the Lionel Murphy Foundation. These scholarships are known as the Lionel Murphy Postgraduate Scholarships. The number of scholarships awarded each year, and the method of payment, is determined by the Trustees in their absolute discretion.
(2) The scholarships are tenable at any Australian or overseas tertiary institution for one year only and are currently valued up to $A40,000 each per annum.
(3) Applicants must be Australian citizens, or permanent residents who have been granted permanent residency by 31 October of the year prior to this application AND in the case of permanent residents, have lived in Australia continuously for the previous 12 months.
(4) Applicants should have completed, or be about to complete, an undergraduate degree in science, law or legal studies, or other appropriate discipline from an Australian tertiary institution, and intend to pursue a postgraduate degree in science, law or legal studies, or other appropriate discipline.
(5) Preference is given to applicants who propose to study any, or all, of the following:
(a) The law and the legal system in a social context and their practical application;
(b) Science and/or the law as a means of attaining social justice and human rights and as vehicles for change;
(c) International law as a developing force for peace and as a means of achieving the rule of law in all nations.
(d) Science as a tool for social benefit, particularly in meeting the needs of those most disadvantaged within society.
(e) Other disciplines, where the proposed nature and area of study are likely to promote the goals of social justice and benefit for the disadvantaged.
(6) Scholars are required to give regular interim progress reports and to provide a full report to the Lionel Murphy Foundation on completion of their studies, of their work and other activities undertaken as a Lionel Murphy Scholar.
(7) Scholars should understand that the receipt of another scholarship, award, funding, or the acceptance of paid employment, may lead to the reduction or withdrawal of the Lionel Murphy Scholarship, and to the obligation to repay moneys to the Foundation, and that such decision will be at the absolute discretion of the Trustees of the Lionel Murphy Foundation.
(8) Scholars are expected and encouraged to publish the results of their studies, and to acknowledge in such publication/s the support of the Lionel Murphy Foundation.
Applications for Scholarships
Only completed applications on the current official application form will be considered. Application forms are downloadable from this website.
All applications must be accompanied by three referees’ reports. (Applications not accompanied by three references will be rejected without consideration.)
Under no circumstances will late applications be considered.
Any scholarships awarded, must be taken in the year for which they are awarded.)
G.P.O. BOX 4545, SYDNEY NSW 2001
TEL: (02) 9223 4315
FAX: (02) 9223 5267