Deadline: June 1, 2012
The SYSTeMS group at the Engineering school has several job offers for motivated Ph.D. students.
The SYSTeMS group is a research group within Ghent University. It resorts under the Department of Electrical Energy, Systems and Control of the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture.
The group is active in a wide range of activities in teaching and research. Research activities span a broad spectrum: from basic to applied research to research performed within an industrial partnership. Research aims at the top international level.
Main research topics are:
- Linear and nonlinear dynamical systems, control and optimization
- Networks of interconnected systems: phase locking, synchronization, convergence
- Distributed control of interconnected systems: applications in engineering, physical, economic or social sciences
- Specific systems: mechanical systems, vibrations and control
- Specific systems: Modeling the brain: study of neural networks as an interconnected system
- Probabilistic inference: foundations and imprecise probability models
- Probabilistic inference: applications of imprecise probabilities in probabilistic graphical networks
- Probabilistic inference: applications of imprecise probabilities in stochastic processes and in particular (hidden) Markov models
- Algorithms and optimization
For a more detailed description of current and planned research projects, please consult the non-exhaustive list below, and the websites of Profs. Dirk Aeyels, Gert de Cooman, Mia Loccufier and Alain Sarlette.
* You will be actively involved in research projects funded by Ghent University, national funding, the European Union and/or industrial partners.
* Your research is to be conducted under supervision and guidance of the staff members, in an open intellectual environment with priority to creative thinking and room for discussion; strong interaction between all staff members and all researchers is a hallmark of the SYSTeMS research group.
* You will take part in assisting the teaching activities of the staff members, in particular regarding exercises related to courses on linear and non-linear systems, and probability theory.
* A stimulating dynamic working environment
* A 4-year contract as a full time scientific staff member of Ghent University. Extensions may be possible
* The opportunity to obtain a PhD degree
* A competitive salary, depending on (scientific) working experience; initial salary after taxes no less than € 1760 per month
* High market value when leaving for industry or public sector
* Contact with national and international research groups
* Opportunities to present research results at international conferences
* Extra benefits: free public transport between home and work place; biking fee; access to university sports facilities and university restaurants
- You are attracted to both basic and applied research.
- You are able to work both independently and as a team member.
- You have good communication skills.
- You are open-minded and dynamic.
Prof. Dirk Aeyels
If you are interested in joining us, please send an electronic application letter, including your CV, and a short motivation explaining your application.