Deadline: March 26, 2012
The RIBA Norman Foster Travelling Scholarship, generously supported by Lord
Foster and Foster + Partners, offers one travelling scholarship of £6,000 to a
student of architecture to support international research on a topic and at
locations of the student’s choosing.
The topic of the research should however, relate to the survival of our cities and
towns and fall under one of the following themes:
• learning from the past to inform the future
• the future of society
• density of settlements
• use of resources
• quality of urban life
The travel should take place between June-October 2012.
Upon the completion of the travel the student will be invited to present their research to an audience at Foster + Partners in London. A graphic, photographic or written interpretation of their report will also be displayed during the RIBA President’s Medals Student Award exhibition at the RIBA in London in December 2012.
• must be enrolled in a school of Architecture with RIBA-validated degree programmes AND
• must have successfully completed at least the first year of a Part 1 degree. Each school only can submit one application produced by one student.
How to apply
Each school with RIBA-validated degree courses is invited to submit one application for the scholarship from one of its students. Each school chooses its own method of selecting its student but the completed application form must be signed by the Head of School.
The application consists of:
• one completed application form signed by the student AND the Head of School and
• one A1 ‘poster’ presented as a pdf file detailing the proposal (topic, objective, locations). Applicants are restricted to 500 words for the poster submission and the file size should not exceed 20 MB.
Applicants may submit video submissions as additional supporting material (maximum duration 5 mins)
Completed submissions must be uploaded to the scholarship FTP site. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request login details. You do not need to submit a printed copy.
The successful applicant will be notified after the judging in April, and it is recommended that travelling be carried out between June and October 2012.
For further queries, contact Jo Scott in the RIBA Education Department on Joanna.email@example.com or +44 (0)20 7307 6378