Deadline: February 23, 2012
The VCU Excellence in Community Service Scholarship Award is sponsored with proceeds generated by the sale of class rings and graduation-related items through the Jostens Company. Virginia Commonwealth University values students who lead through their commitment to service on campus and within the community. We would like to recognize these extraordinary students and their outstanding service achievements through the Excellence in Community Service Scholarship Award.
The amount of this scholarship award is $2,500 and will be for the 2012-2013 academic year.
All full-time VCU undergraduate students who will complete their degree after the fall 2012 semester may apply for the scholarship. Applicants must have a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average and demonstrate a commitment to service on campus and within the community.
Qualified candidates should meet the following requirements:
• Be classified as a full-time undergraduate degree seeking student at VCU.
• Have successfully completed a minimum of 24 credit hours at VCU and will complete degree requirements after the fall 2012 semester.
• Have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at VCU.
• Be a contributing citizen to their campus community and the community-at-large.
• Demonstrate a commitment to service on campus and within the community.
how to apply
Students must complete the application form and are required to write a double-spaced essay, of not more than two pages, addressing the affect that their community service and volunteer work has had on their life, particularly focusing on the college years. Students should provide concrete examples from their experiences that demonstrate their commitment to serving as a volunteer on campus and/or in the community. An unofficial copy of their VCU transcript and two letters of recommendation (one of which must be from a VCU faculty, administrator or staff member) must accompany all applications.
Contact: Linda Johnston (firstname.lastname@example.org, (804) 827-4541).