Deadline: March 2, 2012
The University is delighted to have been selected as one of the few institutions in the UK to be awarded three Wolfson scholarships as part of a pilot funding programme in the Humanities. The Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships will fund doctoral research in three disciplines that align closely with the Foundation’s interests: history, literature and languages.
York has been awarded the scholarships due to its excellent track record and its commitment to humanities research.
The Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities will be awarded to outstanding students who demonstrate the potential to make an impact on their chosen field. Wolfson Scholarships will be awarded solely on academic merit.
Three scholarships of £25,000 per annum will be available to Ph.D. students applying for entry in Autumn 2012 in the areas of History, Literature and Languages.
There are three scholarships available for October 2012/13 entry
* The scholarships are worth £25,000 per year for up to three years of Ph.D. study
* Each scholarship will have a minimum stipend of £15,000 per year
* Each scholarship will contribute to fees (to a maximum of £10,000)
* Any funds remaining after payment of the stipend and fees will be kept as a Research * Training and Support Grant to be accessed by the award holder on request to support the work of the Ph.D.
Eligibility and Availability
In order to be eligible you must:
* Have applied for and be in receipt of an offer of a place on a full time Ph.D. programme in the relevant department (some departments may be able t accept applcations on the basis of a programme application without an offer – please speak to your prospective department to confirm).
* Expect to begin your Ph.D. studies in Octoer 2012.
* Have or expect to obtain a first or upper second class honours degree or equivalent prior to commencing the Ph.D
* Have completed a masters level qualification before commencing the Ph.D.
How to apply?
All potential applicants should discuss their Wolfson application with their prospective Department.
Applicants should submit an application for a Wolfson Scholarship using our joint AHRC / Wolfson Application form. You do not need to apply separately for an AHRC studentship and a Wolfson scholarship, all eligible AHRC applications will automatically be considered for a Wolfson Scholarship.
Scholarship applications may be submitted either by post or online. We are only able to accept scholarship applications from individuals who have already applied for a place on the relevant programme. The deadline for applications is 4pm on 2 March 2012. To ensure fairness and transparency we do not accept applications after the deadline.
Your application will be logged and you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 2 weeks of submitting your application please email email@example.com. Please note that if you submit your application within two weeks of the deadline then it will not be possible to confirm receipt of your application before the deadline.