* a full-time student of African descent (i.e., African-American, Haitian, Caribbean, etc.)
* a U.S. citizen or permanent resident pursuing a degree in print or broadcast journalism within the SJMC during the award period.
* must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
* must submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future.
* submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SJMC faculty preferred).
APPLICATION DEADLINE is MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2011
Application package must contain the following in this order (Submit five sets—one original and four copies):
* Scholarship application (select all the scholarships to which you are applying).
* Copy of all transcripts from institutions in which you have taken courses, including FIU (official or unofficial from school’s web page or from www.facts.org).
* Copy of current SASS report (FIU students).
* Essay – Follow the specific requirement of each applicable scholarship.
* At least one letter of recommendation (SJMC faculty preferred).
* Any other supporting documentation-such as, resumes, relevant course work, samples of your abilities, accomplishments, etc.
Submit scholarship application package to:
Office of Student Service
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
Florida International University
Biscayne Bay Campus, AC2-230
3000 NE 151st Street
North Miami, FL 33181